Thursday, June 3, 2010

color me BLACK

Color me BLACK is dedicated to exposing all of the phenomenal, hard working, and beautiful blacks in the fashion industry. We are in need of more blacks behind the scenes of the fashion industry; most importantly to better ensure that black models and designers are being exposed. Don’t get me wrong, I love me some Christian Louboutin (who will probably end up being featured on here one way or another) but something’s gotta give!

At Howard U I’m exposed to sooo many different things; people, food, music, and of course FASHION. I’ve always loved clothes and getting dressed up, but coming to Howard opened the doors to a new world; a stylish one. Back home (mind you, I lived in a predominately white suburb – like really, I was the chocolate chip in a bowl of marshmallows) I thought I was doing it big; rocking Abercrombie and Fitch, American Eagle, and the oh so popular Uggs (still love em). That’s what I thought being “stylish,” was… everyone I saw was wearing it - now I know better. Even now when I come home for Christmas break I’ll go to the mall and see everyone stuntin in their northfaces, jeans and Uggs – kids AND adults (yeah yeah, to each his own). I watch them and think to myself… “Thank God for Howard!” At Howard you see so many different styles; urban, preppy, flirty, bohemian, classic, alternative, grunge (i will definetely make sure to show you my style from time to time as well as my great fashion finds!)….the list goes on and on and on some more. We were even featured in an article in Ebony Magazine called “Style Watch,” which sheds light to the most fashionable HBCUs. Need I say more?

It’s funny, my second year at HU my friend was telling me about a freshman who asked her a question on the shuttle – “Um, where is everyone going?” She looks at her sideways and says “To class…..” All the while my friend is thinking -Where else would they be going? It’s 10am and everyone’s packed on a shuttle to campus. The girl then asks “Wait, do people always get dressed up for class.?” Lol, I’m sure she’s learned the ropes by now. I don’t know if I would call it “dressing up,” but looking fly? Yup.

So at HU I attended this “Are you a slave to fashion?” forum that was set up by the Black Retail Action Group. One of the keynote speakers was Ms. Holly Alford, whom I have the utmost respect for. What words would I use to describe her? Let’s seee......designer, Assistant Prof in the Dept of Fashion Design at VCU, cool, down to earth, intelligent, black. She brought up the question, “Are African Americans considered slaves to fashion?” Well, as a whole we spent at least $20 billion on apparel in 2009; that’s more than ANY other race. So maybe we are. But on the other hand, we basically dictate the styles of fashion. So maybe we aren’t. Think about it; if we are the ones buying the clothes, they better be making what we like! (But everything isn’t as it should be) Women everyday around the world are trying to get their lips bigger, skin darker, bodies’ curvier, you name it! The Louis Vuitton 2010 Spring Runway show featured countless gorgeous models… with AFROS! (At least Marc Jacobs’ knows whats up)

If all of this is true (and trust me, it is), why are blacks STILL underrepresented in the fashion industry? It drives me crazy! Did you know that designers have said that they won’t put more than two black models in their show because they don’t want it to become a “black thing.” Aha…what?! Vogue Italia acted on this issue by publishing the “All Black Issue,” in 2008 [cover shown above] featuring some of the most notable black women in the fashion industry, and then went on to starting “Vogue Black,” a website exposing blacks in the industry (You should definitely check it out if you haven’t already). I really wish that more people over here would catch on, and take the initiative…

0 comments:

 
color me BLACK