Monday, December 13, 2010

Baby, It's Cold Outside

How will you cope with the cold weather? No need to freeze while trying to stay fashionable; and no need to look frumpy while trying to stay warm. I've got just the thing for you (don't I always?). For starters, the over-sized vintage sweater is back; and you'll be sorry if you miss out on this no-fuss look. Look for it in prints: bold plaid, polkda dot, animal, stripes, geometric shapes; or maybe a simple-solid colored sweater is just right for you. It looks "ok" with jeans, but try pairing it with a skirt, tights, and booties. If it's long enough, rock it as a sweater dress. The thrift store is the best place to find this trend (I kid you not). If you have been so inclined to purchase this piece for over $10 at a store other than a thrift store, let me be the first to tell you that you made a huge mistake; return it...now. Last Friday, after taking my last final exam of the semester, I thought it was about time to indulge myself and commence in a little thrifting. I was ecstatic to see all of the toasty, mod sweaters that were put on the floor for the season. And for only $5? Jackpot! Let it be known that I knew I had more than a few sweaters in storage from last year, but I couldn't resist! Sweaters of different prints, colors, and patterns for only $5? You've got to be crazy to pass up an offer like that. Agree to never spend $40+ on an over-sized sweater again? Cool.

[Here are some of the sweaters I got from the thrift store...$5 each. Yea I know I told you already, just trying to rub it in]

 We can't forget about the chunky sweater-scarf. Good-bye to scarves with a sole purpose to make a fashion statement. Don’t lie; you know that “oh so fashionable” scarf you bought last year left you with many a cold. It's my favorite grab-n-go accessory thus far. A chunky sweater-scarf paired with your over-sized sweater is a fun and cozy cold-weather look to try out this season. I would opt for this piece in deep hues: midnight black, charcoal, cinammon-brown, and maybe a forest green (although I must say I could not part from the mustard-colored chunky scarf that I found at Zara). It's kind of funny that my scarves cost more than my sweaters. But if a sweater is that cheap the more you have to spend on accessories.  Happy thrifting (and holidays of course)! Keep snug and stylish.

[$35 @ Urban Outfitters]

[$30 @ Zara]

Photo Credit: (Top 3 pictures; from left to right)

1. Model Chanel showing off a sweaterdress from Dolce & Gabbana's Fall/Winter 2010 Collection stylehopblog
2.A chunky scarf shown from Tracy Reese's Fall/Winter 2010 Collection black voices on style
3. Sweater ensemble from Diane Von Sternberg's Fall/Winter 2010 Collection gielle blog

1 comments:

RJ said...

Yes Tiff!

 
color me BLACK